Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Sweet Treat- Simple Homemade Coconut Cake

I have to say that I shocked myself at the results of this cake.  see I grew up- for a short time- in the French West Indies, and if you have been following my post, you know I am proud of that fact.  So I was surrounded by coconuts, coconut trees, coconut candy and of course COCONUT CAKE!!  Funny thing is, I loved everything coconut EXCEPT pastries.  But then again I can't stand tomatoes, but will eat a jar of pasta sauce straight out of the pot.

No sure where the inspiration came from, but I felt motivated to make a coconut cake, the way I used to watch our hired help make.  As a child, I was so fascinated by the way she would make a homemade cake, because I grew up for some time on boxed cake.

So before I went to 10am Service on Sunday, I made dinner and baked a cake.  I am, for the most part, a healthy eater, so I made my cake using Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk. It would have normally been made with fresh coconut milk.

When my husband tasted the cake, he said, that I had gone back to my West Indian roots...

So here is the recipe for my Kiss Me Nature Homemade Coconut Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup of butter
2 cups of Turbinado sugar
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
6 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 tsp. of salt
1 cup of coconut flakes
1 greased and floured 10" loaf pan

Cream together butter and sugar; add eggs one at a time beating well each time. Mix in vanilla extract; add flour and salt, and mix well. Add coconut milk to the creamed mixture.  Fold in flaked coconut.

Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pan. Bake coconut cake at 325 degrees for an hour and fifteen minutes, or until done (toothpick check) Frost as desired. 

ENJOY!!!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment